Sunday, July 18, 2010

We Are Starting to Move

Today, we finally took a big step in the process of moving our belongings from the condo. A week ago, Heather and I drove to Woodstock after work to reserve a storage space for our stuff and I followed that with a trip this past Friday to make the deal official. The property manager, Stefan, gave me a thorough explanation of the conditions of the agreement and I even managed to leave a couple of boxes there. We chose a location in Woodstock so that the next, and final, move will only be a short distance away from our new house.

We were moving on a Sunday because yesterday I spent the majority of the day at my brother Greg's bachelor party in Toronto. So, with not enough sleep, we went to U-Haul to pick up a cargo van. The first load included a couch, a futon and a few boxes from our condo storage. We then drove just down the road where my mom helped us load all unopened wedding gifts that were still sitting in her basement. After the van was full, we had a small breakfast and left for Woodstock just before noon.

Given the fact that I was paying 49 cents/km, I went into savings mode and tried to take the shortest way by distance. As we were driving down Trussler Road towards the 401 I noticed an unusual thing in sky. On closer look, it turned out to be Snoopy Two, one of the famous Metlife blimps, which have provided aerial shots for many sporting events including the Super Bowl. At home, I did some extra research and found out that the Metlife blimps cover the PGA Tour which will be taking place in Toronto from July 22nd to 25th thus its presence in this area.

Snoopy Two soaring in the sky.

We arrived in Woodstock less than hour after leaving. The unloading went very quickly and without a major mishap. A tiny piece of glass broke off one of the door from our wall unit but we'll worry about fixing that later. From the storage unit, we drove through downtown Woodstock taking in the sights and familiarizing ourselves with various local businesses. We ended up at our future home where we visited the model home and one of our agents who was there.

At the storage space in Woodstock.

Back in Waterloo, we went home with little desire to go back. Heather went for a nap but I changed my mind and braved the heat again and put more boxes in the van. Once Heather woke up at around 4, we first drove back to my parents' house to unload some plants we borrowed for staging purposes. We arrived at pretty much exactly the same time that my two brothers did so we stayed for dinner.

The second trip to Woodstock started just before 6 and this time it took us less than 15 minutes to unload the few items we brought with us. On the way home we encountered yet another unusual sight. A coyote crossed our path as we were on the Cedar Creek Road off ramp on the outskirts of Cambridge. You read that right, a COYOTE. What's even weirder about it was that earlier in the month I read an article about a coyote alert in neighbouring Perth County. Very strange. Heather mentioned that it reminded her of Johnny Cash's coyote on an episode of The Simpsons. Her comment kind of surprised me because it's usually my department to associate everyday events with a scene from The Simpsons (like the blimp sighting) but all I could think of was a scene from Collateral (a very fine movie with Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx).

In the end it proved to be a very productive day with only two weeks left to vacate our current home. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment