Friday, September 30, 2011

The Garage Project

Even before we purchased our new house, I've envisioned having a fully insulated and finished garage, if only to make it a little warmer for storing motorcycles. After getting a quote from our builder, it became apparent that I'd have to do it myself as the builder's quote was $6,500.

I started on it early as on the first Saturday after taking possession of the house, with help from my friend Remi, the garage was fully insulated and about 80% drywalled. All of that was done in a matter of about 10 hours and the cost of materials of less than a tenth of the builder's price.

11/30/2010 - Moving day: unfinished garage

Our motorcycles were still spending the winter of 2010/11 in my parents' garage since it might have been difficult to ride them 35 miles in December. That is why I was in no rush to finish the job. In fact, I waited nearly eight months.

3/20/2011 - Fully insulated and mostly drywalled

I finally started on finishing the job after getting back from the Freedom Rally in Sudbury which happens every August long weekend. Over the next 7-8 weeks, with little help from Heather, the garage was completed which included drywalling, mudding, sanding, and painting (two coats of primer and two coats of paint). Although there was a little tedious work, which made the project move at a snail's pace, I very much looked forward to getting it done.

9/23/2011 - Anybody want to guess what is being painted here?

9/24/2011 - Walls and ceiling painted, stairs stained

9/24/2011 - The other half of our double garage

No comments:

Post a Comment