Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Babysitting Job

This Saturday my sister Kim and my brother-in-law Mike left for Aylmer to attend the wedding of Mike's cousin. They were not planning on taking their 5 month old daughter Jolene with them and had asked Tom and I if we would be willing to babysit Jolene Saturday through Sunday meaning that we would be caring for her overnight. We agreed and arranged to stay over at Kim and Mike's house in order to minimize any disruption to Jolene's regular schedule.

We arrived at Kim and Mike's place on Saturday morning about noon. Every time we see Jolene she is a pretty happy baby! Lots of smiles and giggles and it seems (at least when we were caring for her) that she mainly gets fussy when she's hungry...but really, who doesn't?

I had planned to get a whole bunch of wedding stuff done over the weekend but realized soon after Kim and Mike left us alone with Jolene that my weekend was going to be consumed pretty much with watching Jolene play, sleep, eat etc. I certainly have a lot of respect for Kim who is at home with Jolene all day while on maternity leave.

I think we were pretty successful as Jolene's caregivers for the weekend. We did have a little bit of a struggle getting her to fall asleep on Saturday evening, but once asleep she slept right through the night and we hardly heard a peep out of her. Of course since Tom and I don't have children yet - I was a bit nervous with the whole overnight thing. I think I checked on Jolene almost once every hour to make sure everything was okay...and of course it was :).

Babysitting our niece for the weekend sure allowed Tom and I an opportunity to evaluate our readiness for having kids...let's just say that it definitely is a full-time job and we plan on waiting a few years yet before starting our family.

Our niece Jolene and nephew Adrian are both beautiful babies and we will continue to learn from them and spoil them like crazy - that will be enough to keep us occupied us for the time being!

Jolene's happy hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment